15 April 2010

COOL CUSTOMIZED COOKIE CAKE (for my C!)

My youngest son’s birthday is coming up tomorrow and I wanted to do something a little different to personalize his birthday cake.  He is a HUUUUUGE NY Jets and Dallas Mavericks fan, so I went in that direction.
I lucked out and found a large cookie cake with no writing on it yet on discount at Kroger for $2.49 (regular price $9.99, I guess it got a little smudged thus the markdown).
Before (an example)                       After
COOKIE C   food 009
I made stencils of the team logos by looking them up on the internet and hand-drawing the letters on paper plates.  I cut the letters out and laid them on the cookie cake.  I did 1/2 of the cake at a time.  I spray painted over each 1/2 with the appropriate team colors using a cake decoration tool called color mist spray (like airbrush).  When I lifted the letters, I had impressions of the logos left in white on the team color backgrounds.  I also used paper over the other 1/2 of the cake when i was spraying to get a clean dividing line.
food 002 
food 003food 004
Then, I hot glued tiny segments of a drinking straw to the back of small wooden sports balls I got at Michael’s for 25 cents each.  Once the glue set, I pushed the straws down into the cake so it looked like the balls were kind of hovering over the cake.
 food 006 food 009
I also cut a “C” (my son’s initial) from red cardstock paper and floated it above the center of the cake using the same technique.  Added an “8” candle and I was done!  I didn’t want to just trash the stencil letters that are now airbrushed, so I hot glued them to the top of the cake holder lid for extra pizzazz.
food 010 sunday11109 507
Now I just have to cover the entire holder with foil or something and hide it somewhere until the big day!!!  Hope my sweet boy is surprised and happy!  I love him so. (Don’t ya love his green eyes?)
Hugs & Yums, Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment