25 March 2010

SPICY GREEN BEANS

Okay, I admit it…I like canned green beans better than garden fresh.  I know, I know, it’s awful! But, it’s been this way since I was a kid and my dad had a garden.  Anyway, I’ve found a way to make even canned beans unique, tasty and “high-end.” 
beans 001
Ingredients:
2 cans green beans (any style, I usually do 1 cut and 1 French cut mixed)
Slivered almonds
Cavender’s All-Purpose Greek Seasoning
Salt and Pepper
Directions:
Heat beans on stovetop. Add about 1/3 small bag of slivered almonds, several generous shakes of Greek seasoning, and dashes of S&P to the pot.  Continue heating til bubbling, then reduce heat to simmer.  Serve and enjoy the compliments!
My father-in-law absolutely LOVES these and, no matter what other (more impressive) dishes I am serving, he goes on about the beans!
Hope you can put this green bean cooking “trick” up your sleeve, too!
Hugs & Yums, sig

4 comments:

  1. Beans with a kick.....my son loves everything with hot sauce. I will try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I have never heard of this greek spice, but I'll look for it. We sometimes put Greek salad dressing on our green beans, but I think the spice would taste better. I taste the vinegar in the salad dressing. Love your blog!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try the Greek seasoning. We like Italian cut green beans because they are so enormous, and I gussie them up with bacon or a small ham hock and a red pepper pod. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about fancying up simple dishes like this - it's that little touch that really makes a difference, right? :-) Thank you for sharing this tip!

    ReplyDelete